My world is enriched
by the fictional characters I've known.
They often slip into my real life.
Sometimes that's a problem!
Here are 22 fun facts about me:
- My children will answer to all of my characters' names.
- My grandchildren just give me a funny stare when I call them a different name.
- I've written more than 18 novels, some of which I will never publish.
- I sometimes give advice from one of my character's perspective, to which my husband, who is usually the recipient of said (unwanted) advice will gently point out - is really advice from me.
- I wrote my first book in 1984. It was published in 2020.
- I've sometimes gone years without writing.
- Other times I've written multiple books in just a few months. (2019! egads)
- Even my dog will respond to character names... especially if treats are involved. Actually, only if treats are involved.
- My characters come to me without notice, and they generally tell their own stories while I write it all down for them.
- My characters often feel more alive to me than family and friends (Oops! That was supposed to be an inside thought!)
- This confusion can sometimes be a problem. But they ARE alive… right? (I can hear them talking in my head!)
- People tease that I confuse real life with my fictional characters' lives. (There's truth in the teasing. And that's a teasing truth.)
- I learn from my characters…. But how did they learn stuff?
- I'm an army veteran, military brat, a military wife, and a military mom. We are definitely a proud military family.
- I have a law degree but I'm not a practicing lawyer.
- I write novels that usually include a military or legal theme.
- I've lived in England and Germany and eight different American states.
- I often fall asleep on long road trips and almost always fall asleep when I'm watching movies.
- I've worked in health care, law, and education. I've also run a day care and in high school I was a waitress. So, I have a lot of diverse experience that can bleed into my novels.
- I have children and grandchildren... and a few pets that my kids left behind when they took off on their own adult journeys.
- I enjoy gardening, swimming, boating, skiing, running, dancing and making wine with my husband, and hanging with my children and grandchildren.
- But if I'm writing a book, all of that will take a back burner to the fictional joys and heartaches of the characters in my head. That takes us back to #10, above.